Monday, April 6, 2009

The Peeping Box


Hi, this is my first blog! I hope to share my experiences of having a mini "farm" right here in the city. I'm hoping to start growing some of my own produce in the near future, and have just jumped in head first to raising chickens so I'll have fresh eggs.

We purchased 2 cochin chicks from Rivertown Feed located in Petaluma, CA on March 28, 2009.

Jessica was having a "off day" and wasn't feeling to good. We had planned a trip to Petaluma and I thought a visit to the feed store would be just the thing to cheer her up! The feed store had a "chick days" poster taped to the front door. I asked the first employee I saw "where are the chicks?" and we headed straight for them. They had 4 different types, all of which I'd never heard of. They had cochins, a feathered footed breed, golden laced wyandottes, black sex links, and black australorps. The chicks had been sexed (90% accurate). We were smitten. I think we were in there for 15 seconds when Jessica turned to me & asked "can we have one?" The next thing we knew we were in the car heading back to the East Bay with a peeping box containing 2 cochin chicks. On the way home we named the buff colored chick Coraline, and the white one Mabel.

No comments:

Post a Comment