Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The First Night

The Coraline and Mabel spent their first night in a old 10 gal. glass aquarium with the heat lamp dangling from a old useless lamp. We spent hours just watching them eat, drink, preen and sleep. Coraline was the picture of health running around and sleeping just like a mini hen and Mabel the smaller yellow fluff ball seemed to be breathing hard and sleeping with her limp body sprawled under the heat light . I was convinced I would be waking up to a small tragedy and made plans to take Mabel's lifeless body back to the feed store the next day.
I had trouble sleeping and got up at the crack of dawn to check on the status of Mabel. Mabel was still positioned awkwardly but I could see she was breathing! I was grateful and relieved I hurried back to bed and had some much needed rest. When I woke Jessica was up and tending to the chicks She couldn't have been more happy to see Mable had made it through the night. We knew what had to be done so it was off to the Rivertown Feed once more!

No comments:

Post a Comment